Saturday, September 25, 2010

Talkin' Fall TV Shows We're Gonna Try

By DANIEL P. FINNEY and PAUL RUSSELL
TV Talkin' Blog Staff Writers


What shows will make it in 2010? Dan the newsman and Paul the accountant discuss what they're going to sample, what's going to be a hit and what will crash and burn.

Paul: I’ve pulled up the 2010-2011 United States Network Television Schedule. Let’s start with Sunday.

Paul: Sunday has one new show, “Bob’s Burgers,” a cartoon about a small business that sells burgers.

Dan: I will give “Bob’s Burgers” a shot. I watch  most of the animation block anyway, so it’s not that big of a deal to give that eyes. Besides, for the first half of the season, it will be football stuff until 7 p.m.

Paul: I am already set for Sunday anyway. I’ve got “Mad Men” and I’ve been watching “Rubicon” recently. Plus, I’ve got soccer on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Dan: The amazing thing about Sunday is that there is not one other show on Sunday, besides football, that I would even consider watching. Saturday and Sunday, it's set aside for football.

Paul: On Monday, there’s this “Lone Star” show. I’m skeptical. It’s about a guy juggling two families. I feel like “Big Love has this beat.

Dan: Yeah, I don’t know. I’ll throw it on the DVR and see how long it stays around.

Paul: Also Monday, “Hawaii Five-0.” I might watch the pilot.


Dan: Did people actually care about that show the first time? Can’t we just buy the DVDs or rent it from Netflix? I tell you, though, I’m going to watch it because Grace Park is hot. This is a bad move on my part.

Paul: Why is that?

Dan:
Because I watched “Tru Calling” and “Dollhouse” because Eliza Dushku was hot. That was a failure that still stains my soul.

Paul: Ready for Tuesday?

Dan: Well, hold on a second. What about "The Event?" This has been relentlessly promoted all summer in Entertainment Weekly. I feel like I will give it a shot.

Paul: It feels like to much like “Flash Forward” or “Heroes” or “The 4400.” Will there be another “Lost?”

Dan: It’s got that vibe, but what the hell? I’ll give it a shot.

Paul: It says “alien invasion” to me.

Dan: Finally on Monday, there is "The Chase." It's a hot chick running a U.S. Marshall's unit in south Texas.

Paul: Walker, Texas Ranger” crossed with “Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman?” I don’t know. She just looks like another Starbucks.

Dan: It could be. I'm going to try the two shows.

Paul: You are right. Better to watch too much than too little.

Dan: OK, Tuesday.

Paul: Sure. “No Ordinary Family.” The family has superpowers from going to the Amazon like that Disney movie, “The Incredibles.”

Paul: Michael Chiklis, the Thing from “The Fantastic Four.” The mom (Julie Bentz) is from “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel.”

Dan: I don’t know. They’re basically ripping off “The Fantastic Four,” which was a comic book from 1961.

Paul:Detriot 1-8-7” is a James Michael Imperioli (of “Sopranos” and “Goodfellas” fame) project. His other cop show (“Life on Mars”) failed. I’m out, I think, unless it has Tony and Carmela, I’m uninterested.

Dan:
I will try "Detroit 1-8-7" because I like gritty cop shows and it's set in one of America's most doomed cities. Maybe it will have a “The Wire” vibe.

Paul: Dan, “Detroit 1-8-7” is on ABC. Do you really think it will compare to “The Wire,” which was on HBO? Think.

Dan: A man can hope.

Paul: OK, done with Tuesday?

Dan: I gave a scant glance at “Running Wilde” with Keri Russell. But she wasn't even hot enough for me to watch "Felicity" when she was in her 20s. I cant' imagine she'd float my boat now.

Paul: Well, “Running Wilde” has “Arrested Development” alums and has that feel. So I assumed you we be out.

Dan: It’s true. I’m the only man ever who hated “Arrested Development.”

Paul: Wednesday. “Hellcats” is a cheerleader show. Did you like “Election?” Did you like “Bring It On?”

Dan:
I did on both counts.

Paul: Based on that, I think it’s worth a shot.

Dan:
Fine, but that’s it for me on Wednesday.

Paul: Raising Hope” is like “Mr. Mom.”

Dan: It’s like I always say: “I’m not a father and shall always try to do right and be good so God will not make me one.” I don’t care about children raising parents and all those issues. Not for entertainment.  Yawn.

Paul: Thursday has 2 promising shows: “Nikita” and “Outsourced.” I always enjoyed the USA “Nikita.”

Dan: Sigh. The only alternatives to cop shows, medical dramas and lawyer shows are shows with girls who kick ass or have vampires.

Paul: There is also “Shit My Dad Says” on CBS. That is a show for people who like their families. Next.

Dan: Oh, I’m all about “Shit My Dad” says. Why? William Shatner. That guy is awesome.

Paul:
Dan, this show is like those daytime commericials where the dad is clueless and the mom comes in smiling to save the day. Not only are young people programmed to be idiots by “Survivor” and “Big Brother,” it’s now OK for dad to be a nitwit, too.

Dan: Not every dad can be Red from “That '70s Show.”

Paul: So, we’re not even going to talk about “My Generation”?

Dan: I’m not going to watch a show about a bunch of Gen-Nexters who graduated in 2000 whine about their life in 2010? I don’t want to hear about “quarter-life crisis” and this other nonsense. Life isn’t what mommy and daddy said it was going to be like when they were driving me in the SUV to soccer and dance practice. Wah. Move on

Paul:
So we’re on Friday. “School Pride.” There’s no description for the show. I feel like that’s a bad sign.

Dan:
Yeah, forget it.

Paul: There’s “Body of Proof.”

Dan:
It’s got Dana Delany and Jeri Ryan. I’ll watch in hopes they make out, even though the show hasn’t even officially been scheduled, a major bad sign.

Paul: So, here we are. The end of the network schedule. I predict about 85 to 90 percent of the shows we've discussed won't last the season. None of them bowl me over.

Dan: And most of them sound like rehashed stuff that I've watched most of my life in one form or another. However, there is this show: “The Walking Dead,” which hits Oct. 31 on AMC.

Paul: “The Walking Dead” got high marks in screenings at ComicCon. Alan Sepinwall commented about it. It looks stylish. The other non-network show that looks interesting is “Terriers.”

Dan: Is that about angry dogs?

Paul: It is about the Westminster dog show. It can’t miss. Two paws up.

No comments:

Post a Comment